The City of Austin’s Cultural Arts Division, part of the Economic Development Department, is seeking submissions of short films for its 2017 Faces of Austin program. Established in 2005, Faces of Austin showcases shorts by local filmmakers that reflect the diverse faces, voices, and experiences of our City. Selected films will be premiered at a screening during the SXSW Film Conference in March and will also be shown on the City of Austin’s channel, ATXN, and via the City’s website. One film will also receive a “Judge’s Choice” designation from a special guest judge. New for Faces of Austin 2017 is a cash honorarium of $500 for each selected short film and $1000 for the Judge’s Choice.
Submissions are due no later than Jan 23, 2017.
“Faces of Austin has enabled us to spotlight the vast array of talent within our local filmmaking community,” remarked Cultural Arts Division Manager Meghan Wells. “From light-hearted profiles of Austin locales to moving tributes of individuals who have shaped the fabric of our city, this program serves as an important outlet for Austin’s creative community. We look forward to sharing a new selection of compelling shorts soon.”
Faces of Austin submissions must meet these criteria:
- 10 minute maximum length
- By an Austin-area filmmaker or commissioned through an Austin organization
- Original non-fiction or fiction work no older than 3 years old
- Filmed in Austin or highlights Austin-area topics or organizations
- Does not violate copyright law by using copy written work, including music, without permission
- Does not solicit funds or a particular political call to action
- Must be appropriate to show in a public setting to an audience of all ages
- May not be also selected by SXSW as part of its other Short Film Exhibitions
- Preference will be given to films that are about Austin’s artists and Austin’s creative community.
- Applicants must be 18 and older
A selection panel comprising project advisors, media experts, and City staff will review each artist’s materials submitted by the project deadline. Selected submissions must meet all of the requirements and demonstrate a high quality. The City of Austin reserves the right to disqualify materials deemed offensive or inappropriate to show in a public setting. The “Judge’s Choice” will be selected from among the selection panel’s top 5 rated submissions. Preference will be given to films that are about Austin’s artists and Austin’s creative community.
Nov. 22, 2016: Call for Entries Issued
Jan. 23, 2017, (5 pm): Entries Due
Feb. 2017: Selection and notification of films selected
March 2017: Public screening during SXSW Film Conference
March 2017 ‐ March 2018
Films to be shown on ATXN and via City’s web site
Image: via Facebook