The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences today announced that 10 animated short films will advance in the voting process for the 84th Academy Awards®. Forty-four pictures had originally qualified in the category.
The 10 films are listed below in alphabetical order by title, with their production company:
- “Dimanche/Sunday,” Patrick Doyon, director (National Film Board of Canada)
- “The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore,” William Joyce and Brandon Oldenburg, directors (Moonbot Studios LA, LLC)
- “I Tawt I Taw a Puddy Tat,” Matthew O’Callaghan, director and Sam Register, executive producer (Warner Bros. Animation Inc.)
- “La Luna,” Enrico Casarosa, director (Pixar Animation Studios)
- “Luminaris,” Juan Pablo Zaramella, director (JPZtudio)
- “Magic Piano,” Martin Clapp, director and Hugh Welchman, producer (BreakThru Films)
- “A Morning Stroll,” Grant Orchard, director and Sue Goffe, producer (Studio AKA)
- “Paths of Hate,” Damian Nenow, director (Platige Image)
- “Specky Four-Eyes,” Jean-Claude Rozec, director and Mathieu Courtois, producer (Vivement Lundi!)
- “Wild Life,” Amanda Forbis and Wendy Tilby, directors (National Film Board of Canada)
Short Films and Feature Animation Branch members will now select three to five nominees from among the 10 titles on the shortlist.
The 84th Academy Awards nominations will be announced live on Tuesday, January 24, 2012, and the Academy Awards for outstanding film achievements of 2011 will be presented on Sunday, February 26, 2012.